The Importance of Eating Healthy

Tyler Airozo, Staff

When in the younger years of your life you never really pay attention to what you’re eating and whether or not it’s good for you. We as students do not realize the importance of eating good healthy foods.

According to an article posted by The Children’s Aid Society New York’s Department of Health states that 43% of public elementary school students are overweight and 76% of New York City children are not getting the recommended five daily servings of fruit and vegetables.

The Children’s Aid Society has responded to these statistics with a series of Go!Healthy initiatives designed to educate families about healthful cooking and eating. It includes a 24 week food and fitness curriculum for both the kids and the parents, a program to bring fruits and veggies to low income neighborhoods from student run greenmarkets, and they have a set of healthy recipes.

Not eating enough healthy foods can increase the risk of diabetes, heart disease joint and bone problems, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and social psychological problems.

You can avoid these problems by, checking the nutrition label and avoiding the high sodium levels and other chemicals like preservatives, colorings, and artificial sweeteners. You can also try dieting with a friend or family member that way you can encourage each other to choose healthy over sugars and soda. You can also try making some easy healthy recipes from scratch.

Doing these things will help you later on in life with health problems such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, joint and bone problems, sleep apnea, and also physiological problems.