Yearbook Awards

Yearbook editors Bryn Valdez and Katie Moore, along with adviser Jed Palmer, with the Best of Show award for the yearbook at the Fall National Convention.

Suraya Asfar, News Editor

On November 3, 2016 Sierra’s yearbook won the Crown Award given by Columbia Scholastic Press Association. On November 10-13 Sierra’s students went to Indianapolis and won two more awards.

Only 13 middle schools across the country were awarded a Crown Award, including Sierra. This is the seventh consecutive year that Sierra has won the award. It has not been yet decided if the yearbook has won a gold crown or a silver crown. This will be determined in March of 2017 at the CSPA ceremonies.

“This years yearbook is going to be a lot cleaner,” says Bryn Valdez, “It’s not as scattered so I think that this year’s yearbook could win a lot more awards this year.

Not only did the yearbook win the Crown Award, but they also received 2nd place in Best of Show.  They also won 6th place in Picture of the Year. Nicole Wilkes took the 6th place picture.

“Yearbook is a really good opportunity to be exposed to more classes outside of middle school and things that are more professional in the real world so I think that kids should try this class at some point in middle school,” says Valdez.

“It’s a really enjoyable class. It’s challenging, but it’s fun,” says Kate Moore, “It feels good when you can design something and then have that win awards and I think that students