• March 15Jeff Maupin's fifth period Algebra 1 class set fire to a nearby field while launching Estes rockets for a project

8th Grade High School Selection

8th graders' High School sign-ups

8th graders' High School sign-ups

Josh Hoekendorf

Josh Hoekendorf

8th graders' High School sign-ups

Suraya Asfar, News Editor

On January 19, 2017 the 8th graders got to meet with Chaparral’s counselors to discuss the requirements and course selection process for high school.

Lots of students are stressed out about selecting their classes. Students received a course selection sheet and a book with all of the class descriptions and the requirements for graduation. So how do you know what classes to take? Talk to your teachers. If you are thinking about taking an honors class but you aren’t 100% sure, then ask your teacher. They will be honest about your skill level and give you a general idea of what to take.

The counselors discussed the new requirements to graduate, these can change and they have since about two years ago. Lots of students asked the counselors questions about honors and AP classes, but what is an honors class? A honors class is an advanced placement course that is fast paced and usually has more homework. If you do decide to take an honors class, make sure that you get your teacher’s signature on your sheet. An AP class is a course that you could potentially get college credits for if you pass the test. Freshman can only take AP Human Geography but your options will expand as you go through high school. This also requires a teacher signature.

The selection sheet is due on February 27 or Chap will pick your classes for you. Counselors at Chap don’t want students to overload themselves with honors classes because it stresses students out and gives them a bad first impression of high school. The counselors also told students to make a four year plan. Plan out what courses you want to take all four years so that you have a general plan of action. The more organized you are the less stressful the process will be.

On Wednesday January 25, Counselors will be in the LMC taking individual questions from students to help make the decision easier. On the 25th there is also a meeting at Chaparral High School that will also go more in depth about high school. The 8th grade teachers suggest  that all the 8th grade students attend this meeting.