Students Are Not Getting Enough Sleep

Tyler Airozo, Staff

Teens go to school walking like a zombie because they do not get the average amount of sleep at night. They can help this by going to bed a decent time so you get the average 8 hours of sleep per night.

A recent National Academy of Sciences forum, entitled The Sleep Needs, Patterns, and Difficulties of Adolescents, looked at teenagers’ sleep patterns and found that the nation’s teenagers are tired. While teens need around 8 to 9 1/4 hours of sleep per night, surveys show that during the week high school students actually get an average of 7 hours, and 26 percent sleep 6 hours or less per night. Teens have a biological clock that makes it difficult for them to go to bed before 11 p.m. The result is that they stay up late, get up early, and walk around sleepy all day.

Not getting enough sleep at night can lead into some more serious circumstances like sleep deprivation which causes damage to your body in short and long term effects. Short-term effects include: anxiety, drowsiness, forgetfulness, distractibility, decreased performance and alertness, memory, and cognitive impairment, stressed relationships, occupational injury, and automobile injury. Long term effects include high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, obesity, psychiatric problems which include depression and other mood disorders.

If you have trouble sleeping, here’s a few tips to get more sleep at night.

• Try to get to sleep at the same time every night.
  • Avoid sleeping in. (Even on the weekends)
  • Limit nap’s to only 15-20 minutes as they can make things worse, or don’t nap at all.
  • Fight drowsiness. If you feel drowsy get up and do something such as take a lap around the school, or cleaning your room.
  • Expose yourself to bright sunlight in the mornings
  • Avoid bright screens within 1-2 hours of your bedtime
  • Say no to late night television
  • Make the environment around you as dark as possible.
  • Limit caffeine
  • Avoid big meals near bedtime
  • Avoid drinking too many liquids
  • Have a small nighttime snack like, half a turkey sandwich, a small bowl of whole grain, low-calorie cereal, granola with milk or yogurt, or a banana.
  • Wind down, clear your head
  • Keep noise down
  • Keep your room cool
  • Make sure your bed is comfortable

People do not care that they don’t get enough sleep. Not getting enough sleep can cause all sorts of issues. If you are putting you, your education, let alone, your future at risk just because you simply don’t care about sleep? Also, it has been proven several times that not getting enough sleep at night will effect your educational performance. When you go to bed at say, 12 o’clock at night and wake up at 5:30 a.m. for school, you walk around school basically a zombie not learning anything. It will cause you to perform poorly in school and not soak up any of the knowledge you should be getting.

Students do not realize the real affects of how not getting enough sleep at night can affect them. It can affect them by simply being tired or in a more serious situation it can bring down grades, cause depression, and cause long-term/short-term effects. Students need to start getting at least 8 ½ to 9 hours of sleep at night to help prevent drowsiness causing them to perform badly in and out of school.

Students and staff need to get the required amount of sleep at night to not only perform correctly but to improve he/she’s education. You could easily mess up your future by staying up late at night and waking up at 5 a.m.