Searching Review

Georgia Moran, Staff

Searching is a movie about a man named David Kim (John Cho) whose daughter Margot (Alex Jayne Go) goes missing, and he desperately searches through her social media and online history to find any clues of what happened to her. The movie, directed by Aneesh Chaganty, is rated PG-13 and came out on DVD on November 27.

It is very hard for me to sit through an entire movie if it’s not a musical, and if it all revolves around a computer screen. That’s why I was so surprised that I really enjoyed this. The plot is very realistic and it shows problems that could happen to anyone, even when it’s completely unexpected.

David Kim was my favorite character because he played the part of a dad really well. He did anything possible to see where his daughter was, which is probably the same way any parents would react. It was really funny when he tried to figure out how to use social media. My favorite part was when a girl told him she followed Margot om tumblr, and he responded with, “What’s a tumblr?,” and spelled it “Tumbler.” His face kept getting close to the camera since he didn’t know how to use it, and that was hilarious.

The best thing about this movie is that it wasn’t your average horror film. A lot of horror movies involve supernatural creatures, and moments with lots of gore, which I find absolutely revolting. But Searching was scary in a different way. It showed how terrifying it can be to have on your conscious that a loved one could be dead, that maybe you’d never see them again, that maybe it was all your fault. I think that this affected parents more than kids, because they realize that their kids could have an experience like this.

Overall, Searching is a realistic, meaningful, and of course, very different film. I think it will make people realize the horrifying truth, that anything could happen so unexpectedly. I am also very ashamed that it’s not getting the recognition it deserves. I would recommend this for anyone over the age of ten who is looking for a way to pass the time.