Ash: Not Just Another Cinderella Story

Kody Reider, Staff

Ash is a wonderful Cinderella retell with a twist. Written by Malinda Lo, this book has(depending on its edition) has 109-272 pages, is owned by Little, Brown and Company and costs around $8.99 dependent on the store, the condition, etc. The main characters are Aisling “Ash”, Kaisa, Ash’s stepmother Lady Isobel Quinn, and Ash’s new step sisters Ana and Clara. This book is about love and hatred, life and death. A theme is acceptance and one of the many lessons is to be careful what you wish for.

After her father’s death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Overcome with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, reading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.This all changes when she meets Kaisa, the king’s huntress. Her heart begins to change. Instead of running to her fairy friend Sidhean, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Their new relationship, though delicate, reawakens Ash’s longing for love—and her desire to continue living. But Sidhean has already branded Ash as his own, and she must make a choice between the fairy tales she knows and adores, and true love.

Malinda Lo has her writing techniques on lock. This book was kind of slow paced, but was still exhilarating. The word choice was beautiful and to my personal preference, it was great! If you are open-minded to a almost opposite retelling of a fairy tale, like slowish books packed with passion, and will wait a for a book to actually get interesting, this book is for you. If you think fairy tales should be left alone, aren’t into stories packed with compassion, and/or like stories interesting cover to cover, this book is not for you. If you like books like The Lunar Chronicles, the Inkworld Trilogy, any fairy tale retell, and similar books, you will most likely like this book.

I think this book has a greater value than its shelving price, but I would still check it out at your local library before purchase. This book greatly appeals to me with a beautiful cover and a lively story. This book starts slow, and in a sad manner, but as the book went on, Malinda Lo became one of my favorite authors. I would go and check it out!