What to do Over Summer Break

Back to Article
Back to Article

What to do Over Summer Break

Chloe Savacool, Staff

Many students spend their summer break at the pool or inside playing video games, but there are so many other things to do over your break that are free, entertaining, and easy to do. Not only does this entertain them for the summer, but it can help them meet new people, and discover something new by exploring.

“For this generation, not only have changes in families’ lifestyles resulted in children spending less time outdoors than in previous generations, but many children prefer to spend time indoors playing electronic games, rather than getting out in nature,” The Conversation said in their article Five ways Kids can Benefit from being Outside this Summer Break.

Some free activities to do around the Denver area are the Cherry Blossom Festival (June 23-24), Cherry Creek Arts Festival (July 6-8), Outdoor Movies in the Parks (all summer), U.S. Mint Tours (every day), and Celestial Seasonings Tour (every day).

Some free days at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science are June 3, July 5, August 13, and September 12, the Denver Art Museum (June 2, July 7, August 4,September 1), and the Denver Botanic Gardens (June 5, July 19, and August 29).

“Summer programs build confidence and a positive attitude. 96 percent of campers said that camp helped me make new friends, and 92 percent say camp helped me feel good about myself. 70 percent of camp parents say my child gained self confidence at camp. When children are a part of a group, a team, a program, they grow individually and together, an invaluable social and developmental experience,” Cambridge Community Center said in their article Top 5 Reasons Summer Programs are Important for Youth.

So get outside and explore the world. Who knows, maybe you will discover a new hobby or a new dream job.