How to study

Brie Murphy, EIC

Towards the end of the year teachers are giving a lot of students tests, and finals. With some finals covering everything from the whole year it is important to study. Here are a few tips on how to study for your finals.

According to Big Ideas Suny in their article ‘Scientifically The Best Ways To Prepare For Final Exams’, one way to help you remember what you are studying is by studing in intervals. Cramming everything into one study session isn’t as beneficial as taking breaks in between. You will remember the stuff you have been studying better by taking breaks instead of cramming everything together. Every 45 minutes you should take a break, because that is the average time someone stays focused.

While it may be boring and you think that you won’t need to study, being prepared will never hurt. There is a lot of things that students have learned in the year, and just going over the topics will refresh your memory.

Using practice tests, and trying your best on them will also help. By doing practice tests as if it were a real test, the actual final will be a lot more natural and easier for you. Studying in class, by paying attention to the topic will help you save time. Also, you might not need to study everything, so just focus on the really important topics that you know are going to be on the tests.

Study Based on the Type of Test You’re Taking. Many teachers tell students ahead of time what the format of an exam will be. This can help you tailor how you study. For example, if you know you’re going to have multiple-choice questions on World War II, you’ll know to focus on studying facts and details. But if the exam will contain essay questions, you’ll want to think about which topics are most likely to be covered,” Teens Health said in their story, ‘Studying for Tests’.

Studying will help you finish the year with confidence and will help you do better on your tests and finals. Taking your time and working hard on hat you study will help you finish the year strong, and do well of all of your tests.