Thespians Club

Thespian club pin that is given to Thespians that have been inducted.

Brandon Oster-Wickstrom, Staff

As a new school year begins, so does the after school drama club Thespians.

Thespians is a club that allows students who are passionate about acting and theatre to explore different opportunities and gain new experiences. One of the main focuses of Thespians is acting, but there are many other opportunities within the club such as technical theatre as well. The mission statement for Thespians, as stated on the Thespians webpage on Sierra Middle Schools’ website is, “To offer a welcoming, fun, flexible experience for Sierra Middle School students interested in acting, and or technical theatre, and or musical theatre at anytime throughout the school year.”

Thespian secretary Madeleine Miley says “Thespians is great for meeting new people! Even if you don’t like acting, here’s your chance to start. Through scene setting, improvisation, skits, and techie work, this club is the place to be!”.

Thespians meets every Thursday after school from 3:00 to 4:30 to work on a variety of different theatre activities. There are events such as a showcase, Thescon, Shakespeare, and even a one act play. There are also different technical theatre events such as set change races and techie competitions, as well as opportunities to do technical roles in many things such as the showcase and one act.

“Thespians is a great opportunity for middle school students to explore their passion for theatre while developing their technical and artistic skills. In addition, Thespians offers students an opportunity to showcase their achievements, participate in local and national competitions and compete for awards and scholarships. The relationships they build will carry through to high school, as will their successes.” says drama teacher Ms. Kirkpatrick.

Thespian meetings began last week on Thursday, August 23, but enrollment is open all year. There is a $30 fee each semester, plus a possible induction fee during second semester. The clubs welcomes anyone, no matter who you are if you have a passion for theatre.

“I love it because I get to meet new people with the same interests as me” said 8th grader Logan Rozelle, a returning Thespian.

As Thespians starts off the year, there are many opportunities open for anyone who would like to partake. For more information speak with drama teacher Ms. Kirkpatrick or speak with other Thespian director Mr. Jones.