School Shootings

Anna Lucas, Staff

On April 20th, 1999, Dylan Klebold, and Eric Harris killed 13 people, and wounded 21 others, during a shooting spree at Columbine High school. Now, 19 years later, a former teacher and student of Columbine High school, are screening a documentary at the Denver Film Festival, called “We are Columbine”.

Narrated by survivors of the shooting, it focuses on how exactly the shooting played out, and how it impacted, and continues to impact, so many lives. The director and filmmaker of the documentary, Laura Farber, was a freshman at Columbine High School at the time of the shooting. She said she decided to create this documentary because, “I wanted to tell the story, our story, as being a freshman in 99’, what we went through. And, I wanted it to come from, from our mouths for a change.”

However, this documentary is not the only one that has been created about deadly school shootings, for example a documentary was released on Thursday October 25th, 2018 called “Parkland: Inside Building 12”. It focuses on the Parkland school shooting, but is told from the shooter’s point of view, instead of the victims.

However, their is one thing all of these documentary’s have in common, school shootings. In 2018, so far, there has been 23 school shootings in America that resulted in casualties. And, their could be a school shooting at Sierra Middle School, just as easily as it happened at every other school. Because in reality, there is very little we can do to stop our school from being the next victim, the next documentary.

Columbine High School Shooter