What We Can Learn From “Mean Girls”

Back to Article
Back to Article

What We Can Learn From “Mean Girls”

The funny movie Mean Girls has a lot you can learn from.

Mean Girls Website

Mean Girls Website

Mean Girls Website

Stella Rydahl-Kim, Staff

Everyone knows that one mean girl/ boy, or many. In some way they have likely affected your life and the movie “Mean Girls” portrays this experience in a funny way.

Sure, “Mean Girls” may be a bit of an exaggeration but surprisingly, we can learn a lot from the quirky movie.

“Mean Girls” star Lindsay Lohan as a young teenage girl named Cady (pronounced Katie) Heron who recently moved from Africa. She’s never been to a normal high school and is lost and confused her first day or two.

Out of nowhere, the most popular, pretty, trendy, and mean girl in school, Regina George (Rachel McAdams), asks Cady to sit with them at lunch with her two friends, or more like minions, Gretchen Wieners (Lacey Chabert) and Karren Smith (Amanda Seyfried).

At first Cady is shocked and confused, she ends up being friends with them. She is tossed into the “fabulous” world of popularity. But, it doesn’t take long for Cady to realize just how mean Regina is.

Soon, Cady and her two friends Janice Ian (Lizzy Caplan) and Damian (Daniel Franzese) the “art freaks” conduct a plan to mess up Regina’s life.

In her quest to ruin Regina’s life, Cady becomes absorbed into this mean girl life and eventually becomes someone she’s not.

In real life, not many people are on a genius plan mess up someone’s physical, mental, and social life but there are people to try to become the person they want to be. By that I mean the popular one, someone cool or sporty. But as Mean Girls shows, if you follow on that path you might lose yourself and be upset as the person you’ve become.

You might lose friends, end up doing things you don’t really enjoy, and more.

The movie also has a sort of moto or mantra it follows, that “Calling someone fat won’t make you any skinnier, calling someone stupid doesn’t make you any smarter, and ruining Regina George’s life definitely didn’t make me any happier. All you can do in life is try to solve the problem in front of you.” Mean Girls

You’ll never benefit from making fun of someone or making them feel bad, you’ll only make yourself feel guilty and the other person sad.

The comedy Mean Girls represents high/ middle school in a funny and relatable way you can enjoy, if you haven’t seen it I recommend it for an example of real life and learning experience.