The History of St Patrick’s Day

Faith Adams, Staff

St. Patrick’s Day is a global celebration that occurs every year on March 17th. It originated in Ireland and people often celebrate it with feasts, parades, or wearing shamrocks on their clothes. There are many tales and traditions that people also tell about Leprechauns and wearing green to not get pinched.

In 1631, a church established a Feast Day to honor St. Patrick, who was originally born in Roman Britain. However, at the age of 16, he was kidnapped as a slave and taken to Ireland. He eventually escaped and converted the Irish to Christianity. He established churches, schools, and monasteries by the time he had died. A few popular myths were then based off him. Ireland decided to celebrate his day with feasts and religious services.

St Patrick’s Day was not originally a big holiday. However, emigrants to the United States transformed it into just a simple holiday that wasn’t really based on religion. Cities with a lot of Irish immigrants celebrated with parades. Since 1962, Chicago has colored the Chicago River green in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. The traditional color for St. Patrick’s Day was blue, but it has slowly changed to green throughout the years.

St Patrick’s Day is a fun holiday, especially in Ireland. Although there are many people that do not do anything to celebrate it in the U.S., it is still a well known holiday. Many people also wear green or buy chocolate coins.