The History of Mother’s Day

Faith Adams, Staff

Mother’s Day is a well-known celebration that is celebrated on the second Sunday of May in many countries. Although, most Arab countries celebrate Mother’s Day in March. People use this day to celebrate their mothers, aunts, grandmothers, etc, and show how much they appreciate their hard work.

This celebration was created by a woman named Anna Jarvis in 1908. However, it did not become an official U.S. holiday until six years later in 1914. The celebration of motherhood is traced back to the ancient Greeks and Romans when they held festivals in honor of the mother goddess. The most recent event that Mother’s Day dates back to is the Christian festival called “Mothering Sunday.”

In the United Kingdom and parts of Europe, Mother’s Day was originally seen as a time when the faithful would return to their “mother church” for a special service. Through the years, Mothering Sunday turned into a more worldly and less religious holiday. Children presented their mothers with gifts such as flowers to show their appreciation. This tradition’s popularity shrunk until it merged with the American Mother’s Day in the 1930s and 1940s.

Mother’s Day traditions vary around the world, but it is traditionally celebrated in the U.S. to give mothers and other women flowers, cards, or other gifts. People also show appreciation by cooking or doing other chores around the house.