Endangered Animals and how We can Help

Lillie Smith, Staff

There have been an increased amount of endangered species on the Earth, and here is how us as students can help.

41,415 species of animals are endangered, critically endangered, vulnerable, near threatened, or of least concern.

Unfortunately we cannot help with all of these species. However, we can help many of these species by recycling. Recycling does not sound like a huge deal but it really is. Using reusable water bottles or coffee cups can clean up this planet and keep these animals healthier and healthy enough for them to live and for there to be more of the different types of animals.

“It makes me so sad that people are so ignorant about all of the beautiful creatures around us.” Stella Rydahl-Kim said.

242 million pounds of plastic trash are put into the ocean per year. We can change this by recycling our plastic trash. This can help the endangered animals that live in the ocean. For example, some animals that are endangered that live in the ocean are: The Beluga whale, The Gray Whale, The Loggerhead Sea turtle, Manatee, The African Penguin, and many many many more.

55% of landfill goes into recycling bins. 33% goes into recycling centers. 12.5% are taken to incinerators where it undergoes a burning process and the recycle and landfill objects are turned into ash. This happens because the trash is not supposed to be recycled with recyclable objects.

In conclusion, there are way to much trash on the ground or in recycling bins. However, we can pick up any trash and throw it away in the correct bin.  Also be kind to others and kind to animals. Especially your pets. This could help so many animals. Make sure to put your trash in a trash can that it won’t blow out. It may end up on beaches and or in the ocean.