Is there going to be a snow day?

Brooke Hudson, Editor

Calling a two hour delay or a snow day for you, it might mean staying in bed for two more hours or building a snow fort with your friends all day. For many other people working in the school district making this decision can be very stressful. 

Usually the superintendent of a school district makes the call of a snow day or no snow day. Principles, teachers, and others just try to spread the word.

A day or two before a major storm is predicated the school district superintendent looks at six to seven different weather forecasts. They look for around five different factors; inches of snow, temperature, how likely the roads will be iced over, and timing of the storm. 

“A big part of it is timing. If you know that it’s going to snow a few inches throughout the day then, school is more likely to be canceled because buses don’t do well in the snow.” says Dr. Joseph Roy. Superintendent of Bethlehem Area School District in New York. 

If a snow day is possible that day, school superintendents start looking into the weather around 3 am. Usually, what the schools look at is weather reports, radars, personal observations of the roads, input from local law enforcement, and road crews. 

“At 5 a.m, when we are trying to make that decision, there is not one superintendent that wants to make a bad decision, but we all want to make sure that we make a decision we believe provides for the safety and security of students,” Micheal Hanlon Jr said. Superintendent of Chardon Schools in Ohio. 

Overall, weather you have a snow day or not it depends on the district’s decision. Here at DCSD they say their mission is to take the safety of our students, staff, parents and community members seriously. They say they put close thought and effort into deciding to cancel school, have a 90 minute delay, or to operate on a normal schedule.