Activities to do During Summer Break

Madelyn Crosby, Editor

With summer break quickly approaching, many students are eager to make the most of their time off. However, with Covid-19, our options are limited. What are some things that students can do to have fun over summer break while still respecting Covid restrictions?

To start, there are things that we must do in order to hang out with friends or go to public events. It is important that we are mindful of the state of our community and accept the fact that safety should always come first. This includes wearing masks, social distancing, and washing hands. In addition, people should try to steer clear of large gatherings, especially if they are indoors. If you are getting together with a lot of people, try to be in a well ventilated area. Ideally, outdoors is going to be your best bet. You may also want to reduce the amount of time that you spend at large gatherings. 

There are plenty of outdoor activities that you can participate in that still adhere to Covid guidelines. Having picnics and barbecues with people are pretty low risk activities. As long as participants are outdoors, social distancing, and wearing masks when not social distancing, then activities like these should be fine. They will remain safe as long as there are a limited number of attendees. Going camping, on bike rides, and to drive in movies are also great ways that you can spend time with friends with relatively little risk of infection. Going to outdoor shopping malls, like Southlands, or to farmers markets may also be enjoyable activities. You must be cautious when doing these because they are busier events with less social distancing.

There are also plenty of activities that you can do by yourself. If you, or someone in your family, is at high risk then staying home and finding alternate activities to do may be better for you. First, you could learn new things. You could learn new recipes to cook or bake. You could learn how to do something new artistically, or you could teach yourself a different language using online resources. Trying out a new video game or reading a new book may also be fun. Playing video games is a great way to stay in touch with others while still adhering to all of the Covid-19 restrictions. If you want to be able to talk and do things with your friends you can use video chat apps like Google Meet, Zoom, or FaceTime. Having long movie marathons may also be fun. You could do something like watching all the Star Wars or Harry Potter movies in one go. In order to get outdoors, you can do backyard camping, gardening, or you can practice a sport. If sightseeing is more of your thing, there are plenty of online tours that can allow you to see new places while never leaving your home. 

Overall, there are countless ways to make your summer as enjoyable as possible. Covid is certainly hard to work with, but there are still events and activities that you can participate in while staying safe. Covid has given us the opportunity to try out new hobbies and activities that we may not have tried otherwise.