Self-Esteem

Justine Teters, Staff

Do you, or any of your friends, ever feel like you just aren’t good enough? Or always feel as if your opinions have little value? This is usually the result of low self-esteem. Self-esteem is the view one person has on his or herself. And more teenagers have self-esteem issues than one may think.

The Children’s Research Group found that low self-esteem can be related to academic problems and how children participate and behave in school.

“A drop of self-esteem and declining academic achievement often accompany this important life stage,” said The Children’s Research Group.

Results of low self-esteem can make an individual focus on their weaknesses and faults, instead of their merits or strengths.

“When you have low self-esteem, you put little value on your opinions or ideas. You might constantly worry you aren’t good enough,” said Mayo Clinic.

According to Understood.org, children develop high self-esteem by experiencing repeated successes. Their successes make them feel good about themselves.

Self-esteem affects almost everything in one’s life, and maintaining a healthy view of yourself is not being self absorbed. It is about learning to like and respect yourself; faults and all.

View a story about how to raise our self-esteem here https://sierrasummitonline.com/health/2018/04/30/how-to-raise-your-self-esteem/