Drug Use in Middle School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drug Use in Middle School

Justine Teters, Staff

A student’s time in middle school is a time for one to grow as a person and to know one’s place in the world. Yet some people’s desire to fit in with their peers sometimes overcomes this important life stage, which can cause permanent dent in their records.

According to The Recovery Village, data from the last decade shows rates of middle schoolers substance abuse and addiction in kids as young as 11 or 12 years of age have swelled across the US. And more than 8% of 8th graders reported using illicit drugs (2015).

“The younger a person is when they start using substance, the greater chance they’ll become addicted,” said Drug Rehab.

According to Drug Rehab, nearly one-third of middle schoolers say that students keep, use or sell drugs in their school. And The Recovery Village said 36.9% of 8th graders say it would be easy to get marijuana and 42% don’t think it is harmful.

The Recovery Village said, “Marijuana remains the most popular drug among middle school children, consistent with what’s also popular with high school students…”

Drug use to some students may seem like a good idea at the time, but the truth is that they’re still growing and developing as a person, and drugs can result in terrible consequences later in life. Or, it may not, but is that really worth the chance?