Managing Anxiety

Sky Huson, Editor

Throughout the United States, anxiety is the most common form of mental illness. One in four teenagers are suffering from anxiety. How is it managed?

If you suffer from an anxiety disorder, research suggests that you may run a higher risk of experiencing physical health problems as well.

“When you manage your anxiety, you’re also taking care of your physical health,” according to Anxiety and Depression Association of America in the article, ‘Managing Anxiety.’

Exercise, adequate sleep, good nutrition, and trying to reduce stress all contribute to your overall well being. Taking a jog or walk can really help reduce some stress.

“Having a lot of homework and upcoming deadlines make me anxious and I play video games like Fortnite to reduce some stress,” said Luke Blevin.

Doing your favorite activities such as sports, journaling/drawing, reading, listening to music, video games, or whatever it is can really help decrease your levels of anxiety. As well as taking breaks from social or public places can help. Keep an eye on your breathing and do some breathing exercises. Medication is also extremely beneficial.

Anxiety affects about 25% of our population. Some more severe than others, but there are ways to control it.