Athletes are Becoming Burned out of Playing a Sport

Brie Murphy, EIC

Athletes can become burned out of a sport and quit. Many students at Sierra are reaching the point where they to are burned out. Being burned out is when you are exhausted emotionally, and physically. This is usually caused by overtraining and overreaching.

The stress of sports causes an athlete to no longer enjoy that sport. It makes them feel like they are just doing a sport because they once liked, their friends are doing it, or because they feel like they need to get better at that sport. “It has been defined to occur as a result of chronic stress that causes a young athlete to cease participation in a previously enjoyable activity,” a study on Overuse Injuries and Burnout in Youth Sports: A Position Statement from the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine said.

Playing sports too much and too long can also make an athlete not want to play a sport. When you compete at a high level, it makes you use a lot of physical and emotional energy making you exhausted. When you go to hard, you will get tired, and for some people this makes them get tired of playing a sport.

When you are playing at a competitive level, you are supposed to keep getting better, and better, and learn more skills. By learning these skills to fast, and going to hard to learn these skills you can become burned out of a sport. “On the one hand, if a young athlete is expected to learn too many skills that are beyond their ability, there will be little motivation to learn new skills.123 On the other hand, mastering tasks and developing a feeling of competence may sustain a child’s interest and motivate him or her to learn new skills,”  a study on Overuse Injuries and Burnout in Youth Sports: A Position Statement from the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine said.

Playing a sport too much and going to hard can also make you become injured. Overtraining can cause an athletes breaking point, mentally and physically. By going to hard to much you can hurt your muscles, making you not be able to play a sport. “Every year more than 3.5 million children under 15 require medical treatment for sports injuries, nearly half of which are the result of simple overuse,” Mark Hyman said in his book ‘Until It Hurts: America’s Obsession with Youth Sports and How It Harms Our Kids’.

While playing a sport is healthy and good for a person, going to hard can cause athletes to become tired of playing a sport emotionally, and physically. Taking a simple break from a sport can help you have more energy, and get back to loving the sport you play.