Sickness at Sierra

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sickness at Sierra

Congestion or a runny nose is a common symptom shared between most illnesses.

Kayla Stutz

Kayla Stutz

Kayla Stutz

Kayla Stutz, Staff

Lately, at Sierra, many students have gotten some sort of illness that has kept them from school. Many of these illnesses include but aren’t limited to Strep throat, the Flu (a classic), the common cold, and bronchitis.

“I felt awful,” Ella May (who had the flu), said. “My throat hurt all the time and I was congested as heck.”  The flu is a very contagious virus that can spread by touch or particles in the air. This is why people always tell you to cover your mouth; germs can spread quickly and easily.

Sometimes it can be a battle between going to school and staying home when you are sick. If you stay how you have a chance to heal and take a break. But you can also have tons of makeup work to do when you go back. If you decide to go to school you won’t have any makeup work to do but you might spread germs to other students and may feel miserable all day.

“I wonder why it’s happening. I mean it seemed like it came out if nowhere and that everyone is getting sick all of a sudden. It’s really gross.” Allie Shaffer said. One of the reasons is that many kids come to school sick, passing the germs to other students (as said before). Those students may get sick at home over the weekend or breaks, but it all originates someplace.

Students sometimes don’t even realize they have a sickness because it can take up to 4 days, depending on the virus. Some ways to protect yourself are to take supplements to help boost your immune system (ask your parents first), wash your hands frequently, and cover your cough! Covering your cough is the easiest way to not spread germs to others. Use these tips to prevent from getting sick from the many germs inhabiting Sierra.