The Spreading Obsession Of Takis

A Look Into the Current Popular Food Circling Around Our School

Aubryn Peterson, Staff

The painful burn of your insides as the acid creeps down your throat. You continue eating the hot and tasty rolls of tortilla chips until an unsettling feeling grows in your stomach. You push the Taki chip bag away as you grip your stomach in agony.

“Since our Takis Fuego was first introduced in the United States in 2006, the snack has exploded in popularity,” Ruben Herrera, Vice President, said to Barcel USA. 

Barcel USA provided the public with a variety of options and ingredients to go with it. The most common and popular flavor is Fuego but there is also Fajitas, Nitro, Guacamole, and Salsa. The seasoned chips became so popular a music video was made about them to suggest the tastiness they provide. Each option of chip has an increase or decrease in certain ingredients such as Fuego which has 150 calories per serving. Children between ages 12 and 13 are not supposed to have more than 2,200 calories per day. A doctor believes that this outbreak of seasoned chips is a new addiction that may cause health problems. 

“Kids who come into our clinic with abdominal pain, heartburn, reflux, generally that’s become one of the first questions we ask them, is have they been eating hot chips?” Cary Cavendar said to Barcel USA. 

100 children a month go into a medical facility for consumption of Takis side effects. The Takis business has received 15 years of complaints even though the sale of Takis continue. Cavender examined the pH of Takis and it came out as level 3. Typical consumed food has a pH of level 5 which is the amount something has of acidic levels. Acid levels are called pH which comes from the German language meaning power, Takis have a pH level of three and typical foods have a level of five meaning Takis have a higher acidic levels. The power of the acidic levels are higher in Takis than normally consumed food. When a food has a higher level of acid it most often causes pain in the abdominal section and may have an effect of vomiting occurrences.

Takis are sold at the kiosk in front of the cafeteria for a small amount of money, many nearby stores sell them for cheap prices as well. Walgreen’s has Takis sold at $1.79, making the seasoned chips easily accessed by students. Students purchase unhealthy goods instead of healthy options because of supply and demand. If the demand for healthy food is low then less and less options will be provided for purchase. Students buy the seasoned chips because they are advertised and sold massively.