The Real Effects of Vaping

Madelyn Crosby, Staff

Vaping, the act of using an E-Cigarette to inhale and exhale water vapor, has become increasingly popular in the past three years. E-Cigarette pods contain different liquids that make the aerosol, or vapor, taste better and they are commonly used throughout the United States. 

Fact 1: Batteries are Being Used to Produce the E-Cigarette Vapor

In an E-Cigarette, a battery is used to heat the liquid inside the liquid pod, which is then inhaled by the person using the E-Cigarette. These batteries have been known to leak, which causes E-Cigarette users to inhale this battery acid. When batteries overheat, or are used for a long period of time, they start to crack and release the acid that is inside of them. If this happens to the battery inside an E-Cigarette or a vape, the acid is then heated by the battery and is inhaled by the user of the E-Cigarette. E-Cigarettes are also made of nickel and tin. Scientist have found unsafe levels of lead in E-Cigarettes. Inhaling lead can lead to some forms of cancer, lung, and brain damage. 

Fact 2: E-Cigarettes Contain Many Different Kinds of Harmful Chemicals

Traces of acetone and diacetyl have both been found in vapes. If inhaled, both of these substances can lead to lung disease. Diacetyl is used to add flavoring to vape aerosol and is also found in alcohol. Chemicals like nickel, tin, cadmium, and acrolein can also be found in E-Cigarettes. Cadmium is a toxic chemical that is used to power car batteries. From the article,”5 Vaping Facts you Need to Know,” and John Hopkins Medicine Association, an interview was conducted with Michael Joseph Blaha. “You’re exposing yourself to all kinds of chemicals that we don’t yet understand and that are probably not safe,” Blaha said. 

Fact 3: Alarming Amounts of Nicotine Have Been Found in E-Cigarettes

Nicotine is a highly addictive chemical that has been found in E-Cigarettes. Nicotine affects a chemical called dopamine, which stimulates happiness in your brain. When the body comes in contact with nicotine, the dopamine levels are changed and the only thing that starts to make you happy is nicotine. This results in nicotine addictions. The nicotine amounts that have been found in a single vape pod can be higher than the amount of nicotine that is in an entire pack of cigarettes. The amount of nicotine that is inhaled from an E-Cigarette can be as addictive as heroin and cocaine, which are two highly addictive substances. N-Nitrosonernicotine is another chemical that has been found in vapes and has been known to cause cancer. Nicotine easily gets underdeveloped brains addicted faster, and a youth brain is not fully developed until age 25. The association News in Health interviewed Dr.Richard Miech. “Vaping is leading youth into nicotine use and nicotine addiction, not away from it,” Miech said. 

Fact 4: Nicotine is Known to Cause Major Heart Problems

When a human takes nicotine into their body, multiple side effects occur in the body.  Nicotine raises blood pressures, can spike adrenaline, and it can increase your heart rate. High blood pressure can lead to stroke, kidney failure, and sleeping problems. Having an increased heart rate can also increase your likelihood of having a heart attack. 

Fact 5: Vaping Can Cause Cancerous Disease 

Just because vaping has only been around for about three years doesn’t mean it can’t have a major impact on your health. Many people have used vaping as a way to quit smoking, but studies have shown that 30% of people have started to smoke after using an E-Cigarette in high school. David C. Christiani was interviewed by VOX and his statement was used in the article, “Vaping appears to be making hundreds of people sick. Doctors have no idea why.” “E-Cigarette fluids have been shown to contain at least six groups of potentially toxic compounds. The effect of adding ingredients such as THC or CBD to this mix needs to be investigated,” Christiani said. In the month of October, 1,299 lung injury cases have been documented and linked back to vaping. 26 deaths have also been recorded and linked back to vaping. 15% of these reported injuries were from youth under the age of 18, even though it is illegal for youth under the age of 18 to purchase nicotine products. 17.6% of 8th graders have also admitted to using E-Cigarettes. 

Even though vaping has only been around for three years, it is already starting to worry doctors. No one is really sure what the long term affects of vaping are, but the large amounts of nicotine and chemicals found in E-Cigarettes could cause potential health risks.