How Social Media can Cause Depression

Emma Galesic, Editor

Many students use social media as a way to connect with their fellow classmates and peers; instead, it really causes anxiety and depression for teens worldwide. 

Social media can cause many kinds of depression. Data suggests that around 92 percent of teens and young adults own a smartphone and have various social media accounts. And over 30 percent of those people have shown results of anxiety and depression for these social media platforms.

When teens are constantly on social media, they tend to isolate themselves from their peers. They instead use the social media platform as their main form of communication instead of verbally communicating with them. They think that it is okay to do this instead of having a normal conversation with one another. This causes depression because humans are very social and they need physical communication with others to remain in a good mental state.

When on social media, many teens will follow and compare themselves to celebrities or Instagram models. By doing so, students may feel very insecure about their bodies and the way that they look. They might think that they need to be skinny, that they need to wear more makeup to cover up their flaws, etc. and that can cause many mental and physical health problems. 

By wasting their time on their phones and on social media it prevents them from spending time outdoors, with their friends and family, or doing other healthy activities and that can keep you from retaining new knowledge and exploring the world and those things can also cause depression and anxiety.

The final thing to worry about the effects of social media on children and teens is that students will get distracted more easily while they are doing their school work. Wondering how many followers they have, how many likes they got on a post, or what their “Snap score” is are all reflecting on their school work and work habits. And, overall, there are many downfalls on social media and hopefully, more people will question why they are still spending time on it.