Pros and Cons of Homework

Georgia Moran, Editor

Every kid in America gets homework, whether it’s fifteen minutes per night or hours per night. Some students argue that there is too much, while others argue that there is too little. So what are the real issues with homework?

A pro of having homework is that it helps you develop good study habits throughout your life. According to a study done by the City University of New York, ‘students who engage in self regulatory processes while completing homework’ (goal-setting, time management, etc.) ‘are generally more motivated. They are higher achievers than those who do not use the processes.’

Another pro is that parents can be more involved in their children’s learning. When their kids do work at home, they can observe and see what their strong points are, as well as their weak points. Research from Johns Hopkins University concluded that students in a program known as the TIPS (Teachers Involve Parents In Schoolwork) group earned significantly higher report card grades after eighteen weeks than non-TIPS students.

While the pros are important, there are also some cons involved. One con is the fact that it’s a disadvantage to low-income students. 96.5% of students across the country need the internet for their homework. Students from low-income families probably can’t afford a computer or have access to the internet. They might not even be able to do homework on paper because they could be working after school and on the weekends, trying to support their family.

Homework can also result in high stress levels. A study by Stanford University showed that fifty-six percent of students consider homework a primary source of stress. Too much homework per night can result in bad eating habits, headaches, exhaustion, weight loss, and a lack of sleep.

Clearly, there are a lot of advantages, as well as disadvantages. Students who argue over homework just need to find a balance amongst themselves.