How To Cope With Stress

Listening+to+music+and+taking+breaks+to+do+things+that+you+enjoy+like+reading%2C+drawing%2C+or+dancing+can+help+reduce+stress.+

Listening to music and taking breaks to do things that you enjoy like reading, drawing, or dancing can help reduce stress.

Madelyn Crosby, Staff

The third quarter is always packed with homework, CMAS preparation, and loads of school work. All of this work can be overwhelming and students can feel very stressed. There are many ways to cope with overwhelming stress. 

The best way to cope with stress is to start by relaxing yourself. Take a few deep breaths to reset your mind. Overworking yourself and overwhelming your brain can be stressful. Taking breaks can help you relax. Do things that you enjoy like coloring/painting, reading, or listening to music when you need a break. Stressing every day can lead to chronic stress which can affect your memory and creativity, but if you take frequent breaks or even vacations, you may be able to stop stressing as much. If you feel that you are often tired, frustrated, or can barely sleep then you need to try to stop stressing. Taking any sort of break can help with stress whether your going on vacation over spring break, or just taking an hour off before you finish your homework. 

“You have to give your organism the means to cope with stress, and that includes healthy food, non-harmful substances, sleep (dramatically more than most kids think they need), downtime… building into your day right-brain activity that lets you digest what you’ve been going through and process it. Those are some basic and almost biological needs we have,” Susan Stiffelman said, according to “Academic Pressure: 5 Tips From An Expert On Coping With School Stress.”

Listening to calming music is one of the easiest ways to reduce your stress. Music helps draw your mind away from the stress that you are dealing with, and it also helps relax you. Soothing music can relax your muscles and release tension in your body. Listening to relaxing music before tests, or other difficult tasks, will relieve your stress and boost your scores. 

Exercising is a great way to cope with stress and keep your body healthy. According to an online poll, 14% of the participants used exercise to cope with stress. Participating in physical activity not only helps reduce stress, but it can improve an individual’s mood, help you sleep, and improve your self-esteem. Even short workouts can reduce stress and act as a break for anyone who is feeling stressed. Physical activity can include taking a run around your neighborhood, doing pushups, jumping jacks, situps in your living room, and even dancing.

“It is alarming that the teen stress experience is so similar to that of adults. It is even more concerning that they seem to underestimate the potential impact that stress has on their physical and mental health,” said Norman B. Anderson according to “American Psychological Association Survey Shows Teen Stress Rivals That of Adults.”

It is very important to get help if you are dealing with lots of stress. Stress can lead to mental illnesses like anxiety and depression. High levels of stress can also cause heart attacks, strokes, and high blood pressure. You can get help by talking to your parents and school counselors. You can also go see a professional to get advice on how to cope with stress.