How To Stay Healthy During Quarantine

Elie Yates, Editor

With the uncertainty around the consistency of in-person school because of quarantines, students can have a hard time keeping up with their mental and physical health. But, staying as healthy as you can during online school can help you perform better in school and stay engaged. 

While students are at home learning, they can often neglect their own nutrition. Many students don’t eat breakfast or lunch because they want to sleep or do homework. It is vital to eat in the morning especially because it will increase your blood sugar and calories, making you more alert and engaged in class. According to a study published in the Journal of Economics, students in schools that ate breakfasts before class scored about 25 percent higher on math, reading and science tests. Not only is it important to eat, but you have to eat healthy. Every meal should have something from each of the five food groups, an example for a lunch could be a yogurt, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and some watermelon. Reducing your sugar and sodium intake can also drastically effect your mood and health. Studies found that employees who eat healthy are 25% more likely to have higher job performance, which can be translated to students performing better at school. 

Being in front of a computer screen all day can also impact the amount of exercise students are getting. Because students are now required to sit at the computer for an extra 7 hours every day for online school, they miss out on regular exercise they could get by just walking around halls, going outside, or participating in PE. But, to combat that, students can do things as simple as taking your dog on a walk, going for a light jog, jump-rope, playing sports, hiking, bike riding, etc. California College says that 150 minutes of exercise every week can help students reach peak brain function, improving their GPA and test scores. It is also important to keep your activities regular, creating a small program like 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, can keep your brain in top shape. 

Online school can take a toll on kids’ mental health as well. Between the isolation, increased stress, increased workload, and lack of activity, it has caused students to need an additional 32% of mental health support according to EdSource.org. Yet, there are countless ways for students to improve their own mental health. Taking advantage of breaks throughout the day to  step away from the computer can boost one’s mood and give your brain a much needed break. “Brain Breaks” like these not only increase blood flow to the brain to improve performance, but it quickly reduces stress. If they are done consistently, they can prevent long term sleeping disorders and cardiovascular disease. Getting enough sleep, exercising, eating well, meditating, trying new things, and seeing people you love can all improve your mental health too. 

Staying healthy while doing school at home can benefit you in many ways, from academic performance to overall health.