Staying Cautious while Swimmimg

Brian Vanderpool, Writer

Swimming, diving, or even just sun bathing. You feel like it’s just fun in the sun, but it could also be dangerous if you don’t be safe. The lifeguard at the pool always tells you not to run, you ignore it, however; there are over 350 people that die a year from pool accidents.

Many people don’t take the pool seriously. They feel like it will always be a safe environment, however; sometimes it could be the most dangerous. Next time don’t think of the pool as a pool. Think of it as the ocean. It will keep you more alert, and more aware of your surroundings.

Most people that are in pools are just there to cool off during the summer, however; there are always kids playing. Kids are the most prone to drowning in pools. Children need to be supervised more, and stay in the shallow end of the pool is he or she can’t swim well.

“For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries,” said the Division of Unintentional Injury Prevention

The average age for children dying, or even just getting hurt in pools is 13 years old. That means our age is the most prone to death or serious injury. It may be this age that is most common, but that doesn’t mean all ages aren’t able to drown or get serious injuries.

80% of people that drown a year are over 16, so everyone can drown, even amazing swimmers. Only 35% of people in America know how to swim, so the next you go to the pool take the time to beware of the dangers and keep yourself and others safe.

Everyone loves having fun in the pool, but not all fun is safe. Everyone can die from getting hit in the head, or drowning. So, everyone should be careful.