Lockdown Procedures

A Parker Police Department Sheriff stands by buses making sure that students get on safely.

James Lawrence

James Lawrence

Suraya Asfar, News Editor

On Friday September 2, 2016 the students of Sierra Middle School were placed in lockdown at approximately 2:43 p.m. due to a potential danger outside of the school building.

Lockdowns inside of the building are done with precise caution. Every classroom in the building follows the procedure of Lock, Lights, Out of Sight.

Darrell Meredith, the principal of Sierra, said  “The students did a great job. The faculty was perfect and we did what we needed to do. Everyone showed that they were prepared. Great job Sierra!”

Teachers are specially trained just for situations like these. Campus security walks around the inside perimeter of the building and makes sure that everything is locked and secure. The classroom teachers are not supposed to tell students what is happening because they aren’t supposed to “panic the students”. Not only do the classrooms take many extremely cautionary measures but so does the entire school building. During a lockdown, the office goes into a dark secure place as well until told to do otherwise by government officials.

Many parents of students at SMS said that they are disappointed because they did not get notified by the school or the district immediately regarding Friday’s ordeal. But what is the first priority of the office and the school?  “My first priority is to make sure that all the students and staff are safe and that there is not a danger in the building,” Meredith said 

On Friday a text message went out at 3:00 p.m. but got hung up in the mobile networks. Another text and a voicemail went out at 4:30 which most people received unless they blocked communication with the district.

“The first thing that happens in a lockdown is a red button in the front office is pushed which triggers the lockdown alarm to go off. Then I make sure that the office staff is following the Lock, Lights, Out of Sight procedure,” said Meredith. “If I had something to tell the students I would say, never assume it’s a drill and follow all the instructions of your teachers so that you stay safe.”