Sources of Strength- Dan Brite Poster

The Sierra Sources of Strength members with the poster they created for Detective Brite. All students had the opportunity to sign the poster before it was given to Det. Brite and his family.

Jed Palmer

Jed Palmer

Noah Hughes, Staff

September 11th marks a day of terror in American citizens lives. In the community of Parker, Colorado on this day,  Sources of Strength came together at Parker Adventist Hospital to support Detective Dan Brite and his family.

On Friday September 2, 2016, the Parker Police Department came into action when a man with a gun was seen outside of the school. The police engaged the man resulting in gun shots, with one striking Detective Brite. The whole community of Parker came together, with  Sources of Strength organizing and creating a banner in Detective Brite’s honor.

At the event, people from the city of Parker were asked to wear blue for Detective Brite. Once there, everyone gathered outside Brite’s window holding signs and posters. The Parker Police Department gave a speech and led the community in prayer.

“Sources of Strength is a program that we are starting to help kids focus on the positives in their life rather than the negatives. We started it because Chaparral High School had it too, so we thought it would be a great opportunity for middle school to start it too. We had the program from CHS come in and talk to students about it so that they’re prepared for high school,” said teacher Amanda Grosskrueger.

“We thought that since he was a major part of our community that day that we should raise awareness not just for him but for Sources of Strength. I feel like it was a success because one of his family members came to the school and picked up the banner for him.”

“I think it was such an impactful thing for him because every student signed it. This event showed how close our community is and shows that middle school kids have empathy and care about the community as well. I was very happy with the student support at the event. There were more students than teachers. We just wanted to show that the Sierra community cares about the rest of Parker,” said Grosskrueger.

I think the gathering for Dan Brite was important to attend because he risked his life for children. It said a lot about Parker because of how many people attended the event to support the Brite family, said student Macy Tyler, team Phoenix.

Although the idea of Sources of Strength isn’t that popular throughout the school, it made a huge impact on the Parker community.