Grace Stebbins Wins Journalist of the Year

Suraya Asfar, News Editor

On May 3, student journalist Grace Stebbins won Journalist of the Year through the Colorado Student Media Association.

Stebbins is an eighth grader on team Falcon.  She has been on the yearbook staff at Sierra for two years and is this year’s Co-Editor In Chief. Not only has Stebbins done amazing work for the yearbook, but she has participated in many extracurricular activities and balanced her time very well.

The Best of Colorado award began in 2010. Between March 20 through April 12 Stebbins accomplishments were submitted. Stebbins created and submitted a portfolio containing her resume, letters of recommendation, and examples of her work.

I worked insanely hard last year to have to privilege to lead a staff this year. The day that the award was announced I was super surprised especially because it wasn’t supposed to be announced for another week. It’s a super prestigious award so I was and still am insanely honored by the opportunity”

Stebbins has won awards for her journalism in the past and also has won awards for her photography. Although this is the first time she has taken a first place award. Her win was announced to the school over the announcements on May 4.
The Middle School Journalist of the Year award has only been given out for two years and Sierra has won both of them. Stebbins started a tradition that hopefully Sierra can upkeep next year.