Student Walkouts

Luke Blevin, Staff

In wake of the Parkland, Florida shooting, students all across the country are walking out of school to protest gun violence. A norm for most of the walkouts is 17 minutes or seconds of silence to honor the 17 lives lost at Marjory Stoneman High school.

14 out of the 17 deaths were students, ranging from ages 14 to 18. Three of the students were part of JROTC. They were all awarded with the Medal of Heroism. That is the highest award JROTC member can recieve.

This shooting was the second most fatal school shooting in American history. The most fatal was the Sandy Hook shooting with 27 people killed.

Students of Marjory Stoneman have called for gun control and more security at schools. These calls for safety are happening all over the country in all types of schools.

Students are protesting by walking out of school with signs and other things to call for better gun control.

Gun control is one of the most controversial topics throughout the country. This is because of the recent spike in mass shootings all over America. This year, there have already been 4 school shootings, with two having significant injuries and deaths. This is according to Time magazine.

An example of a walkout happening at a local school is Chaparral High School. Several hundreds of students walked out for 17 minutes. Signs depicted messages such as “Enough is Enough” and “We stand with Parkland”. These are all messages students are using to push safety in schools and better gun control. Gun control is one of the most controversial topics throughout the country. This is because of the recent spike in mass shootings all over America.

In Scottsdale, Arizona, over 40 students were suspended one day from school for walking out. This was because they apparently left the school’s campus when told not to.

Students from Sierra Middle School participated in a walkout on March 14th. It was on the field that fire drills take place on. The protest was expected to be silent, but consisted of a lot of talking.

“I think that it is good to raise awareness about the kids who lost their lives and raise awareness about gun laws” Amelia Shoemaker said.