Time To Sign Up for Battle of The Books!

Kelly Hobbick, Staff

Are you looking for a variety of new books? Or perhaps you would like a friendly competition with your peers? Or maybe you just love to read and want to find people who have that same interest? It’s time to sign up for Battle of the Books!

Battle of the Books is a fun competition, two teams go against each other to answer questions to one of the following ten selected books;  After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick, Alabama Moon by Watt Key, Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova, Crossover by Kwame Alexander, Fuzzy Mud by Louis Sachar, Ghost by Jason Reynolds, The League & The Lantern by Brian Wells, Mark of the Thief by Jennifer A. Nielsen, The Nazi Hunters: How A Team Of Spies And Survivors Captured The World’s Most Notorious Nazi by Neal Bascomb, and The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. Students must read the books, and memorize the titles and authors.

Teams will compete in battles, each team will be asked a question in the form of ‘In which book…’ they will then have a minute to discuss quietly before they must provide an answer. The spokesperson from each team (they are chosen before the battles, and change every time) will then stand up to answer the question, if they get it wrong, it will go to the other team who will have thirty seconds to come up with an answer. Sometimes teams get the question wrong simply because they mispronounced the title or author’s name, but other times they don’t say the right book.

Battles consist of twenty questions, each team will be asked ten questions (but they will have a chance to steal if the other team gets it wrong). Whichever team has the most points at the end will win.  While the one team is discussing, the other team is not allowed to talk, if they do, they will be disqualified.

If you are wanting to sign up, first you must find a team of five or six. (You are able to pick your team, just find your friends and ask them if they would like to do Battle of the Books!) Only five will be able to compete in a battle, so if your team does have six one person will be the alternate, the alternate will change every battle, just like the spokesperson. Check in with Mrs. Meurer (the librarian) to sign up.

Teams will compete against each other at Sierra, the team that wins will then go on to the library, where they will compete against teams from other schools. Battle of the Books is a fun competition for all the people that like to read. Sign up for Battle of the Books now!