Torreys Peak Health Class Debate

Kendall Procik's 7th period class giving intro statements

Madison Nesti, Staff

On Wednesday and Thursday, February 26/ 27th , Torreys Peak students had a debate about whether violence in the media causes violent behaviors in real life or not. It was performed to help students better understand causes and effects of media violence. It was also a lesson on how to have a debate/ rebuttal and get your point across to others.

In most debates, a person will get to choose which side they argue for. Kendall Procik picked for the students so that they could learn how to understand both sides. Everyone got a planning packet where they could record their main ideas and research. Students were responsible for recording what they learned from the other side of the debate and coming up with questions to ask the opposing team. Justin Lee said that he thinks media violence does not cause violent behaviors because people that have violent behaviors don’t always view violent media.  

For preparation of the debate, all students talked together about the do’s and don’ts of a debate. For example, students should not be yelling at each other and saying rude things that could offend someone. Instead, politely disagreeing and not interrupting was very respectful. Participation was a big part of the grade. Those who did not contribute would not receive the best participation grade because contributing was very important for learning how to have a debate. 

During the debate, there were 4 groups of tables around the room with 7-8 people. First, the “For” team gave their leading statement and evidence. The “Against” team would do the same once they were done. After each team gave their evidence, both teams would ask each other questions that they had to answer. There were some people that had very good points and evidence. For example, Natalie Beaumont contributed a lot. “I believe video games and violent movies don’t cause violent behaviors because studies that were conducted were biased or racist”, Beaumont said. 

After the debate, the winners were determined. The majority of the “For” teams won. But, only one of the “Against” teams won as well.  Towards the end, the class split into two groups and had another debate. Procik said that her 3rd period health class was her favorite debate class because they had very good research and everyone was very passionate about their opinions.