Too Much Homework

Tiago O'Brien, Staff

I feel like most classes at Sierra are giving out a little too much homework. In doing this I have noticed lots of my friends stressed out about forgetting to turn something in because they had too much to keep track of.

According to Healthline.com, “Research shows that some students regularly receive higher amounts of homework than experts recommend, which may cause stress and negative health effects.”

Sometimes too much homework has to be done over the weekend because of extended due dates or because they can’t finish it during the week. With this happening it could interrupt family time or any family activities.

Both the NEA (National education Association) and National PTA are supporting a standard of  “10 minutes of homework per grade level” and setting a general limit on after school homework and studying. This would mean that if you are in kindergarten you should only get 10 minutes of homework.

Some people may say or think that extra homework or studying could help you with school. But too much of this could cause stress and lots of people to sleep while doing it because of long and early hours at school.

Reducing the amount of after school homework will lower the stress levels of the students and increase their engagement levels in class.