School Starts Too Early

Back to Article
Back to Article

School Starts Too Early

Justine Teters, Staff

Middle school students’ brains are programmed to stay up late and sleep in later. Early school start times result in students being exhausted most of the day and not being able to focus in school. Therefore, school should start later.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended that middle and high schools should start at 8:30 AM or later to give students the opportunity to get the amount of sleep they need. But most schools start too early.

“Starting school later can help adolescents get enough sleep and improve their health, academic performance, and quality of life.” said the Center of Disease Control (CDC).

Not getting enough sleep is common among students and is associated with several health risks including being overweight, drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco, and using drugs, as well as poor academic performance. Starting school later can help students get enough sleep and improve their health, academic performance, and quality of life.

“I never get enough sleep because when I get home, I have to go to basketball then when I get home late, I have to stay up and do homework,” said Brie Murphy.

The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends that teenagers from the ages of 13-18 years old should regularly sleep 8 to 10 hours per day for good health. But with the school times we have now and amount of homework, we usually don’t have this amount of sleep.

A later start time may seem drastic, but it would greatly improve the teachers’ and students’ overall health and performance in school.