Middle Schools Shouldn’t Have Tackle Football Teams

Embed from Getty Images

Lizzy Ahrens, Staff

Middle school sports teams may be a fun way to meet new people, but tackle football is too dangerous for young people to play. There have been several studies that show how exposure to football at a young age can lead to neurological damage later in life.

In an article published by the journal Nature’s Translational Psychiatry, it was stated that recent studies done by numerous sources have found that playing football before the age of 12 and continuing to play into high school puts brains at serious risk. Repeated head impact even without concussion or visible injury can still damage the structure and function of brains while they are growing and changing.

“The brain goes through a lot of changes during this time,” reporters at New York Times said.

There has been a discovery that neurodegenerative diseases, diseases that slowly cause functions and structure of the brain to wear away, have been linked to repeated head impact. It has been found that 110 out of 111 retired NFL players had chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is a type of neurodegenerative disease. Therefore, school teams should only play flag football or other variations of tackle football.

“Tackling is the culprit. Everybody associated with the game is worried about the participating members,” ‘Practice Like the Pros’ said.

Several people believe that school sports teams create a fun and safe environment for students to meet others and create a bond with people their age, but it has been found that football players have increased odds of behavioral and apathy issues which can make it harder for them to meet others once they are adults. It can cause them to distance themselves from others or make it hard for them to open up and create bonds.