Online Discussions are Good

Brie Murphy, EIC

Are online discussions a good or bad? While there are some cons about online discussions, I think that they are a lot better than regular discussions. Instead of doing literature circles (lit. circles) discussions face to face some students are doing them online.

An online discussion is on a google doc shared between all of the people in your lit circle group. You then write your questions about the book on their, and respond to other people’s questions. You can work on the discussion at anytime in the week, and don’t have to wait until your discussion day. It is due at the end of the week or two weeks and you are suppose to have everything filled out by then.

“They can be very productive and thoughtful but they can be very annoying. If the people know what they are talking about in the discussion, then they will go well,” Jennifer Rike said.

Online discussions allow you to think about your response, because you don’t have to respond right away. While you might not get answers to your questions right away, you can have more time to think about what your answers to other questions will be.

“I like online discussions because I can do my work when ever I want to do it,” Riley Smith said.

It also makes it easier for the teacher to grade because they can tell who participated in the discussion, and when they did it, so they will know if someone waited until the last minute, and didn’t actually participate in the discussion.

While there might not be any tone in the discussion and you can’t tell how someone might be being trying to ask a question, the online discussions can help you prepare for some high school and college classes.

As you get older you will have to take more online classes and this will prepare you for later in life. So, learning how to work online, and get your work done on time will help you later in life.

Overall, online discussions are a yay, and will help you later in life. They also make it easier for you to think about your answers and questions, not making you answer on the spot.