Parents Need to be More Strict

Brooks Wiley, Staff

These days parents are too friendly to their kids. Some parents treat their kids like they are their best friends. They are not friends they are children. Some parents feel like they need to say “yes” to everything their kid asks them. That just gets them used to doing whatever they want. It doesn’t prepare them for life after school. And even if you don’t like your parents because they have too many rules, it is for a good reason.

“My parents aren’t strict. I think it is a good thing because I get to be more free. The only thing they make me do is my homework,” Reed Carter said.

Good parents will set rules for their kids to protect them and to make sure they don’t do bad stuff. A good parent would check their kids room for anything that they are hiding or keeping from their parents. Parents should not care if their kid is mad at them because it is teaching them a good lesson. If a parent never checks on their kid, there is a good chance that they are hiding something that they don’t want the parent to know. So just for good precaution, a parent should always keep check on their kid.

For an example, let’s go back to the Columbine High School shooting in 1999. The shooters, Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris have guns, knives and pipe bombs in their rooms in the basement. The parents never went to go check on them or even talk to them during the day. If the parents went to go check on them then, this massacre could have been prevented.

“My parents are strict and I don’t really like it. They make me do my homework every day.” Demetri Garcia said.

I feel like parents need to be more strict to their kids. The parents feel like their kids can do whatever they want and they never have to say no. It is teaching the kids a bad habit. It could carry on to when the children have kids of their own. Then their kids will be taught the same exact thing. If the kids are doing something bad, they need to give them a consequence so they learn their lesson. So parents stop being a friend, be a parent.