Goosebumps 2 : Haunted Halloween Review

The three main characters in costume.

Goosebumps Website

The three main characters in costume.

Stella Rydahl-Kim, Staff

On October 12, 2018 Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween hit theaters just in time for halloween. The movie stars Jeremy Ray Taylor, Caleel Harris, Madison Iseman, the voice of Slappy, Mick Wingert, and returning Jack Black.

When the main characters, Sonny (Ray Taylor) and Sam (Harris) find an old book and ventriloquist dummy named Slappy. Like in many mildly scary movies, the dummy comes to life after Sam reads a passage from where they found it.

The movie goes on with Slappy terrorizing the kids when all he really wants is a family. The movie centralizes around the idea of family, the importance and how you should respect them.

Slappy gets tired of the kids and creates his own family of monsters and other villains, sending horror across town on halloween night.

Goosebumps 2 very closely resembles the first Goosebumps with monsters running wild in the town. Even the scenes with the monsters are basically the same from the original, small monsters attacking in groups and big monsters the kids hide from.

The movie seemed like a quick movie made to entertain kids for two hours, giving them a few thrills and quotes they can repeat at home. I found myself bored and like I was watching a rip off version of the original.

In all this movie doesn’t have much point, you might as well watch the first one. I personally did not like it but I can understand why younger children would. It’s a basic and commonly used storyline with not much depth or meaning to it. It might keep them still for an hour or two, but I wouldn’t risk it.

I wouldn’t recommend it, just to stick to the first Goosebumps.