School Start Times Should be Delayed

Faith Adams, Staff

Does school start too early? Teenagers are often blamed for staying up too late and having a hard time getting up in the morning. However, teenager’s brains are wired to go to sleep later and wake up later. This is why school start times should be delayed.

Sierra Middle School starts at 7:30am, causing students to wake up as early as 5:00am. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that middle schools and high schools should start at 8:30am or even later. All students should get the appropriate amount of sleep in order to have good academic performance throughout the day.

“Teenagers aged 13 to 18 years should regularly sleep 8 to 10 hours per day for good health,” the American Academy of Sleep Medicine said. 

Not getting enough sleep can highly affect how well students will perform in class. It can also affect how well you focus, your health, and how you act towards others.It is more likely for exhausted teens to be overweight, suffer from depression, not engage in physical activities, engage in unhealthy behaviors, etc.

“I think school starts too early. I don’t get enough sleep and I can’t pay attention well in school because I’m too tired,” student Anna Lucas said.

Overall, I think if school start times were delayed by at least an hour, students at Sierra Middle School will be able to achieve higher grades and accomplish better performance in general.