Why Student Should be Allowed to Listen to Music During Class

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students enjoy listening to music while they work, and tend to focus better when they do.

Stella Rydahl-Kim

Stella Rydahl-Kim

Stella Rydahl-Kim

Stella Rydahl-Kim, Staff

As everyone knows at Sierra, the phone policy is to keep your phone in your backpack, turned off, and out of sight. This includes music as well, which I and many others believe should be changed.

“Personally when I listen to my playlist I work 10x better. I’m cutting out all distractions, I’m just in my mode and ready to work.” CJ Marsh said.

Many students think listening to music helps them focus, and puts them in a focused and happy mood, which would improve performance in schools and bring down the bullying and stress levels in school.

“The music not only helps eliminate ‘white noises’ but also creates a sustained supportive ambiance. As a result, it could reduce students’ frustration levels, enabling them to perform tasks effectively and efficiently.” says Natural Medicine World.

When this suggestion is brought up to teachers many argue that students will just mess with their phones during class anyway. But a solution to this would be allowing students to listen to music as long as their phone stays in their backpack.

“Just make sure their phone is off while they’re listening to music, or asleep.” Lizzy Ahrens said.

That way, students can enjoy music without teachers worrying about them abusing the privilege.

Music also encourages kids to be quiet, so they can hear their music better. That way other students have an easier time focusing and it’s loud and chaotic for the teacher. Of course, headphones are required and teachers could take away the privilege from a student if they take advantage of it.

“I think for a lot of students it can help them focus and it keeps them from talking because they want to listen to their songs.” Ahrens said.

Student and studies agree that music could benefit students, and therefor Sierra, in many different ways both mentally and academically.