Sierra Students Are Skipping Breakfast

Kelly Hobbick, Staff

Kelly Hobbick
Breakfast Crepe, a good example of a ‘healthy breakfast’

Students often complain throughout the day that they are hungry and that they can’t wait to get to lunch. The cause of this problem is that students have been skipping breakfast. Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day, it’s the one that gets you started in the morning that is supposed to last all the way until lunch.

According to HealthyChildren.org, some students are ski[[ing breakfast because they are trying to lose weight. However, this is a very unhealthy habit that is not effective. If you are wanting to lose weight, talk to your parents or a doctor. Skipping breakfast only results in being hungry for the rest of the day, which makes it hard to concentrate on school work.

Eating a good breakfast actually improves your behavior, it makes you less tired and able to work efficiently. When students are skipping breakfast, they are not giving their bodies the fuel that it needs to start the day and can make you more prone to lash out at others. Skipping breakfast releases hormones in your body that cause feelings of agitation and irritability.

TheConversation.com states that eating a good breakfast can lead to better academic performances, since you are no longer focusing on how hungry you are, instead focusing on your school work. It also improves your mental health, making you happier and more cheerful, which can make everyone around you be in a better mood.

Some people argue that they don’t have time for a good breakfast in the mornings since they are rushed when getting ready for school. But even grabbing a granola bar or banana on your way to the bus is a better option than not eating anything at all. There are lots of good, easy, and fast choices for breakfast, including granola bars, breakfast bars, breakfast shakes, fresh and dried fruit, and wet and dry cereal. If you have time, you could always boil an egg or heat up a frozen waffle. Think twice before you dash out the door without breakfast, it could lead to some major consequences in the future.