Should Schools Have Later Start Times

Amelia Shoemaker, Editor

Embed from Getty Images

Sierra starts at 7:25 in the morning and ends at 2:45 in the afternoon.  These start times should be way later in the morning.

Sierra middle school starts way too early.  Most students have to wake up around 6 A.M every morning just to get to school on time.  Many students and staff agree that it is too early to start cramming information into our brains.  According to theconverstion.com, “Teenagers have different brains than adults and younger children and their ability to get out of bed before 8 A.M is human biology not just attitude.  Teenagers’ brains don’t start to feel tired until around 10:45 P.M and they don’t fully wake up until around 8 A.M. When a teen gets sleep deprived, it is bad for their health and with a later start time, less kids will fall asleep in class.”  These tests have proven that teenagers’ brain need more sleep.

Cherry Creek had already given their middle schools and high schools later start time and it has improved their district.  According to The Denver Post, “A solid eight hours of sleep for students improves their learning. Moving their start times back an hour has already made more engaged and better rested students.  It has also made it easier for parents to get their kids to school on time and with less problems.” This comes to show that students need later start times so that they can get more sleep and they will be able to pay more attention in school.  It will also make it easier for everyone involved.

Overall, making later start times for school will make everyone involved happier and make the school environment a better place.