Should Enrichment Be Brought Back?

Georgia Moran, Editor

Last year, Sierra had a program called Enrichment, which was replaced by SSR (Sustained Silent Reading) this year. Enrichment happened every Wednesday for the last 45 minutes at school, and there were around thirty options to choose from. The majority of the student body enjoyed it, so should it be brought back next year?

Enrichment was a chance for students to explore their interests and meet people who have the same interests. It was a great way to make friends and socialize more, which is a good thing since that can be really hard in middle school. Some seventh graders also got friendly with their teachers that they might have this year. Students got a break from all their work in the middle of the week, as well as the teachers.

It was removed from the schedule because last year’s average CMAS reading score was very low, so it was replaced by SSR to bring the scores up. However, SSR doesn’t seem to have much of a point, considering a lot of students use the time to either use their phones or talk to their friends. We already read books in class, so LA teachers can just give more time in class to read.

Enrichment was a good program while it lasted, so we should have it again next year, while still having extra time for reading.