Do Students Need Better Hygiene?

Georgia Moran, Editor

Kids are missing school more and more lately because they’re sick with the flu, a cold, or any other sickness going around. If we had a way to maintain a higher attendance at this school, wouldn’t we take advantage of it? You may think the answer is yes, but some students don’t seem to care.

Most students in the school don’t have good hygiene, especially when it comes to washing their hands. The proper procedure includes using soap, rubbing it in thoroughly, and rinsing your hands. The CDC says you should wash your hands with soap and water for fifteen to twenty seconds, or in the time it takes to sing happy birthday twice. A team from Michigan State University conducted a study on “hand-washing behavior” in public places, in which 3,749 people were observed. According to the study, “Bathroom users only washed their hands for 6 seconds, and just 5 percent washed their hands for 15 seconds or longer.” 

Some students also don’t care to shower, wear clean clothes, etc. PE teachers shouldn’t have to announce to their classes to wash their clothes or wear deodorant every day. A few PE teachers have also had to announce to the boys in their classes that Axe body spray is not the same as showering or wearing deodorant. Health teachers also talk about it in their classes, and a couple teachers have admitted that their classroom starts to smell bad because of their students.

Hygiene is a serious problem with kids in the school, and all across America. It’s important to have good hygiene because it can prevent sickness, which means people will miss school less. This will make Sierra a better and safer learning environment if we don’t have to worry about getting sick.