Psychological help in schools doesn’t work

Jade Swiryn, Staff

The pediatric center for disease control reports suicide in children has doubled in the years after 2013. Some of that is due to problems outside of school, but the lack of good support from schools definitely plays an important role in depression in children. Many students feel their school is not doing an adequate job in helping them with their emotional struggles.

When asked, most students will say they would rather talk to a trusted friend than a counselor. They’d rather talk to a peer than a qualified professional. On top of that, many school counselors will recommend therapy unrelated to the school. Children seek out the counselors for therapy only to have the counselor tell them to see someone else. That can destroy a child’s self esteem, and it can make them feel unwanted, which only contributes to their problem. Counselors should be empathetic towards students even if the empathy isn’t real.

On top of that, student information isn’t always confidential. For example, in Alexandra Greenberg’s case, a counselor shared a student’s information without their permission, which is legal, but for the child talking with them, it doesn’t feel right. “It was absolutely terrible because they told my teachers, staff, and my parents about my situation, and it made me want to cry,” Greenberg said.

In a report published by the Colorado Department of Education, it claimed funding for school counseling is around $80,000 per funded school. That includes the salary of counselors as well as funding for anything those counselors would need. It’s the school’s choice if they want to give any more funding for the program, and most schools don’t choose to give that extra funding.

Counseling in schools needs to improve. Students aren’t getting the psychological help they need. If schools want to do the responsible thing then they will get better counseling for their students.