Phoenix Field Trip

Noah Hughes, Staff

On April 25th, Team Phoenix went on a field trip to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

The field trip was chosen through a field trip project in iLab where students in groups of two to four were asked to come up with a field trip idea for Team Phoenix and why it would be educational.

Phoenix teachers came to the decision of taking a field trip to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Phoenix teachers have said this is the first field trip in four years that their team has taken due to behavior issues in the past. Phoenix did have a field trip scheduled previously this year, but the district took it away due to behavior on the team.

At the field trip, Team Phoenix saw the new “Vikings: Beyond the Legend” exhibit, an IMAX movie called, “Dream Big 3D: Engineering Our World,” and the Space Odyssey exhibit. Groups that still had time left over could go to a fourth exhibit such as “Expedition Health,” “Gems & Minerals,” or, “Egyptian Mummies.” Phoenix students were also told to fill out a packet on each exhibit they visited that was assigned by teachers for a grade.

“My favorite part of the field trip was the Viking exhibit because there was a lot of cool artifacts and I got to wear a helmet,” said Phoenix student Cade Grotts.

The team lost about half an hour of time to visit exhibits due to a faulty fire alarm that went off right before the IMAX movie. The Denver Museum of Nature and Science staff had to delay the start of the movie until the fire alarm was turned off.

“My favorite part of the field trip was the movie because it went along perfectly with the iLab curriculum, and the producers always do a good job,” said Phoenix iLab teacher, Katherine Padrnos.

Phoenix left SMS at 8:30am and returned at 2:00pm.