What is the Purpose of Daylight Savings?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kaylee Coons, Staff

Daylight Savings is probably one of the most confusing days of the year. You get more sleep, but the day seems to last longer. Or maybe you get less sleep and you end up being tired all day. Either way, there is a logical reason behind the sudden jump in time.

There are a couple places in the world that don’t have daylight savings. These places are all on or close to the equator. Both day and night are nearly the same (12 hours). The closer someone lives to the equator, the longer daylight hours they have during the summer. Here in Colorado, we will only shift one hour forward on March 10th at 2:00 am. Time usually doesn’t change at all in the tropics because it isn’t needed.

Daylight Savings is actually a good thing for the environment. According to sources, it helps save energy. The whole country uses less energy because the day is shorter than normal. The days are shorter so people stop using light energy sooner.

The idea of Daylight Savings was first thought of by Benjamin Franklin in 1784. This idea received it’s first serious advocate by William Willett who wrote a pamphlet about it called Waste of Daylight. Soon after, people started thinking that the idea was a real probability. Eventually, Germany passed the act followed by Britain. This later spread to the United States

Daylight Savings creates a whole storm of confusion, but it serves a very important and useful purpose. Most people dislike it because of they have to shift their regular sleep schedule. But it saves energy and stabilizes daylight hours during the summer and winter.