Flag Football

Luke Blevin, Staff

Flag football is almost the same as tackle football. The only difference is the field is shorter, and instead of tackling the player to bring him down, you pull a flag off of the belt on their waist.

The game was first played in the mid 1800s. It is thought to have been played for as long as Tackle football. Flag football is played at Sierra too.

Over 80 players tried out for the team, and based on skill level and willingness to play, the players were split into four teams. The highest skill level and most football smart players were put onto the A team. The next best players were put on B team, and the rest were split into two C teams.

The professional league for Flag Football is the American Flag Football League. The AFFL plays by very different rules than the NFL.  Instead of 11 on 11 there are only 7 players on each team. The clock is always running except for the last five minutes of the game and the last 2 minutes of the half. Instead of ten yards for a first down, the field is split into four 25 yard boxes, and whenever a team enters a new box, a first down is rewarded.

Some of the star players of the AFFL are Michael Vick, Terrell Owens, and Chad Ochocinco. In the opening game of the season, Michael Vick threw 8 touchdowns. That is a AFFL Record. Vick used to play in the NFL for the Falcons, Eagles, Jets and Steelers. He retired after having a lack of success and tons of injuries. One of his most famous quotes about football is “I have two secret weapons, my legs, my arm, and my brain.” Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco were all star NFL players who got old and retired. 

Flag football hopefully will gain more popularity from people other than middle schoolers in the future.